We’re some people interested in discussing whether we should organise a meeting in Europe for open and replicable psychological science, and possibly also an organisation that can host regular meetings in Europe.
In North America we have Society for the Improvement of Psychological Science (SIPS). In Australia we’ve had two groups organising conferences with 100+ attendees: Australian Interdisciplinary Meta-Research and Open Science (AIMOS) and UQ Open Science; unlike SIPS, however, none of them are member organisations.
Recent public discussions (e.g. a blog post, threads on Twitter such as this & this, as well as an ongoing forum thread) have raised the question whether it might be meaningful to start something up in Europe. Two main ideas have been raised so far:
Organise a conference, similar to the SIPS conference, in Europe. Such a conference could be a one-off event, or a regular event.
Start up a member organisation, similar to SIPS, in Europe. Such an organisation could have an official collaboration with a journal (similar to Collabra: Psychology and SIPS), host conferences, function as an umbrella organisation for local openness and meta-psychological communities, etc.
More on each suggestion below.
PROPOSAL 1: ORGANISING A CONFERENCE
This idea obviously requires less effort and resources than the second proposal, since the second proposal ultimately will include conference hosting as well. Brainstorms so far have included the following thoughts:
- Location: Croatia? In Croatia we have @Ljerka_Ostojic and her cognition and metascience lab CIABS.
- Time: European summer 2020? The SIPS conference will take place in Canada in 2020, but might be back in Europe in 2021. It might therefore be a good idea to host at least something small this summer.
- Type of conference: a traditional conference (small or big), an unconference (like SIPS), a barcamp, some sort of retreat, workshop(s), other?
- Focus of the conference: psychology, particular parts of psychology, social science, or just open & meta-science in general?
I’ll ping Gjalt-Jorn Peters and Chuan-Peng Hu (not yet on the forum I think), who both expressed interest in discussing the conference proposal further.
PROPOSAL 2: STARTING UP A MEMBER ORGANISATION
Brainstorms so far have included the following thoughts:
- We want an organisation with high tolerance for diverse opinions (leftists as well as conservatives should feel welcome) and language (also e.g. academics with a working class background and others who might occasionally use foul language should feel welcome).
- When necessary, we want the organisation to primarily engage in constructive conflict resolution rather than punishment and exclusion.
I’m pinging @rickcarlsson here, who might want to share his thoughts on the member organisation.
Please do join the discussions in this thread! You don’t need to sign up to do anything just for sharing your ideas and thoughts.